Posted: Feb 11 2017 at 9:46am | Views: 584
Assemblyman Benedetto Provides Seniors With Free Income Tax Preparation
Assemblyman Michael R. Benedetto, in conjunction with the Iona College Accounting Department, is once again offering free income tax preparation for seniors 62 years of age or older who reside within the boundaries of his district (Co-op City, Throggs Neck, Morris Park, Pelham Bay and City Island). Tax documents can be dropped off at the Assemblyman's office beginning on
Wednesday, February 15, 2017 and is limited to seniors who meet the following criteria:
- Simple filings only
- Complete copies of 2016 federal and state returns must be included
- Name, Social Security number, and date of birth of all people claimed on the return as taxpayers and dependents
- Adjusted gross income (AGI) for 2016 must be under $50,000
- All necessary paperwork must be included as a complete file and brought to the office, otherwise it will be returned
- You must provide us with a telephone or cellphone number at which you can be reached during normal business hours and on Saturdays.
Let us know if there have been any changes in taxpayers or dependents from your 2016 return, such as birth or death of a taxpayer or dependent. Seniors are encouraged to bring all their tax documents to Assemblyman Benedetto's office at 3602 East Tremont Ave, Suite 201 or 177 Dreiser Loop, room 12, anytime from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Please note that the tax preparer will collect documentation until Wednesday, March 22, 2017 and no more taxes will be done after that date. All participants will be contacted when the forms are completed.
This free service is limited to the first 250 constituent respondents, so please present your materials early.
All returns are prepared by student volunteers from Iona College as a service to the community. All returns will indicate that they were prepared by a non-preparer.
For more information, please contact Assemblyman Benedetto's office at:
3602 E. Tremont Ave., Suite 201
Bronx, NY 10465
177 Dreiser Loop, Room 12
Bronx, NY 10475
Tax Return Tips